Student Life - Beyond the Classroom
Community College of Philadelphia offers exciting and rewarding opportunities outside of the classroom that allow you to explore interests, expand your knowledge and become involved in the College community. This out-of-class involvement is meant to support your in-class performance.
Student Life Center
The Student Life Center is responsible for programs such as New Student Orientation; Welcome Week; Student Leadership and Involvement; Clubs and Organizations; the Student Programming Board; Spring Fling; trips to Broadway shows; a biannual trip to Merida, Mexico; and many other ways to help you get involved.
Students who are involved are more connected to the campus and tend to have higher grades and graduate and transfer on time. Don’t wait. There is more to college than going to class. Let us help you to succeed! Opportunities for involvement exist at each Regional Center in addition to the Main Campus.
For a list of current campus programs and events, you can view the student life center calendar.
The Student Life Center offers currently enrolled students discounts to various museums, movie theaters, and special events. Visit S1-19 in-person for current available options.
The College offers a rich variety of competitive and fitness activities:
- Athletics Center: This facility features a weight training room, cardio room, and exercise room for aerobics and yoga classes.
- Intercollegiate Athletics: Offering nine sports for men and women, the College is a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) and competes in Region XIX as part of the Eastern Pennsylvania Athletic Conference (EPAC).
- Intramural Sports: Our programs include volleyball, basketball, kickball and Ultimate Frisbee.
- Health and Wellness: Events throughout the year serve students, faculty and staff at the College. Examples include health screenings, healthy cooking demonstrations and dietary information exchanges.
MarcDavid LGBTQ Center
Located within the Student Life Center, the MarcDavid LGBTQ Center offers support services, programming activities, and educational opportunities to members of the LGBTQ community and to the entire College Community.
Student outreach and support efforts consist of working with LGBTQ and ally student groups, working with other student groups on inclusion and support initiatives, and connecting students with City and College resources.
Location: Winnett Student Life Building, Room S1-19; phone number: 215-751-8164.
Student Leadership and Involvement Center
There are several ways you can participate in campus life to enhance your leadership, teamwork and communication skills:
- You may choose to get involved in the Student Government Association.
- Become a member of a student club or organization.
- Help plan student activities as a member of the Student Programming Board.
- Contribute to the Vanguard, the student newspaper.
- The College’s honor societies,including the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society and the Alpha Beta Gamma International Business Honor Society, offer you several leadership, networking and academic growth opportunities.
- The Student Leadership and Involvement Center houses Philadelphia LEADS – our premier student leadership programs, including:
- Emerging Leaders, specifically designed for incoming new students;
- Gold Leaders, which certifies students through the Student Leadership Challenge; and
- Colonial Leaders, which guides seasoned student leaders through the tenants of Servant Leadership.
New Student Orientation
First-time students at the College receive important information about academic and student resources, student processes and initiatives that will help them navigate their new environment and achieve their goals. Orientation programs are offered at each Regional Center in addition to the Main Campus.