English as A Second Language Institute
Information Sessions for Summer 2024
We are hosting a special event for English Language Learners this February 21 and 22! Join us to learn about the two English as a Second Language (ESL) programs at Community College of Philadelphia, as well as our degree and certificate programs. You will meet with representatives of our academic ESL program and the ESL Institute, get support with the first steps of the registration process, and learn about the College's many resources. Pre-registration is encouraged but not required.
Please note: Information sessions are NOT tests. You must sign up for the placement test separately.
¡Estamos organizando un evento especial para personas que están interesados en aprender Inglés este 21 y 22 de febrero! Acompañanos a conocer sobre los dos programas de Inglés como Segunda Lengua, los grados asociados y los programas de certificados que ofrece el Community College of Philadelphia. En esta actividad tendrá la oportunidad de conocer a los representantes del Inglés básico y el Inglés académico de nuestra institución, además obtendrá asistencia en completar los primeros pasos del proceso de admisión a ambos programas y se le informará sobre muchos otros recursos ofrecido por nuestra Centro educativo. La pre- registracion a este evento es recomendable; pero no es requerida.
Tenga en cuenta: Las sesiones informativas NO son pruebas. Debes inscribirte a la prueba de nivel por separado.
Main Campus: Winnet Building, Room S2-03
- Wednesday, February 21 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. RSVP here.
- Wednesday, February 21 from 6 to 8 p.m. RSVP here.
Career and Advanced Technology Center, Room 241
- Thursday, February 22 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. RSVP here.
- Thursday, February 22 from 6 to 8 p.m. RSVP here.
Online: This is a short (30 minute) session for those who can't make it in person, focusing only on the non-credit ESL Institute.
- Tuesday, February 20 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. RSVP here.
ESL Institute Placement Testing for Summer 2024 Admission
New students MUST take the ESL Institute placement test before enrolling in a course. Taking the placement test does not guarantee you a seat in the program. Sign ups for the March placement test will open during the information sessions. Sign up for the Summer 2024 interest list HERE to receive updates.
Classes in the ESL Institute offer adult, non-native speakers of English the opportunity to improve their basic English language skills in order to actively increase their participation in the larger society, continue their education into academic programs or to prepare for citizenship.
Adults at least 18 years of age are eligible for the program.
Before enrolling for classes, prospective students must take the ESL Institute Placement Test.
The ESL Institute provides four levels of ESL instruction:
- ESL Intro (Low Beginner)
- ESL 1 (Beginner)
- ESL 2 (Intermediate)
- ESL 3 (High Intermediate)
- American Idioms (Advanced, only open to students who complete ESL 3)
Each level includes the four language acquisition skills — listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Summer 2024 Courses
- COURSE FEE: $80 for each course (American Idioms: $100), plus the cost of textbooks
- REGISTRATION: Returning students: April 2024 registration for classes beginning May 13
- REGISTRATION: New students: Before you can register for classes you must be tested for placement in ESL. The next placement test will be in March for the summer 2024 semester, which begins May 2024. Sign up for the interest list HERE.
- PAYMENT: Payment can be made online using a credit or debit card, or in person on Main Campus. Classes may be canceled due to low enrollment. Refunds will be granted only if the class is canceled or the student withdraws before the first class meeting. To withdraw, you must email Adultliteracy@ccp.edu.
- Questions: Call 215-751-8531 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.