English as a Second Language Institute
The ESL Institute provides education and training to those interested in learning or improving their English. These noncredit courses will help with:
- Job Preparation
- Preparing for Citizenship
- Being Active in Your Community
The ESL Institute offers three levels of courses to help you with your listening, speaking, reading and writing: beginner, intermediate and high intermediate. These levels follow the Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment Systems (CASAS) competencies model.
The ESL Institute can help you:
- Learn and improve your knowledge of English
- Improve your English listening and speaking skills
- Improve your English reading and writing skills
- Improve your life skills and gain a better understanding of American culture
- Become an active community member and make connections
- Improve your employment opportunities
- Participate in your children's education
How to Register
Students must take the ESL Institute’s placement test before registering for courses. Placement results will determine the appropriate starting level for students. Student placement tests are administered at the Main Campus only on scheduled dates and times.
Spring 2018 ESL placement testing and class registration is closed at this time. ESL Summer classes are offered to returning students only. The next semester that will be open to new ESL students will be Fall 2018. Placement testing will occur in late summer. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Fall courses begin in September, and spring courses begin in January. The fee per course is $80.
The Division Office: (215) 751-8531 or (215) 751-8381
ESL Institute courses are non-credit, and are not for students interested in enrolling in a degree or certificate program at Community College of Philadelphia. If you are interested in enrolling in a degree or certificate program at the College, your first step is to apply for admission.