Registration and Enrollment

Registration Procedures

Currently enrolled and previously enrolled students in good academic standing in any credit degree or certificate program may utilize online registration to enroll for courses. All other students, including those who are not permitted to drop/add classes via the Web, may visit Enrollment Central at the Main Campus or any of the Regional Centers.

Students will be permitted to attend only those sections of courses for which they have officially registered and paid. Students are not permitted to sit in on classes for which they have not registered.

Priority Web Registration is available to students based on the total number of credits transferred into and earned at the College. Eligible students are permitted to register via the Web before in-person registration begins. A Web Registration Guide is available to students on MyCCP regarding how to activate their portal account (if they have not done so) and register for classes via the Web. Online registration can be accessed through the Enrollment Services Channel on the Student Tab, and clicking on the "Register for Courses/Change Class Schedule" link on MyCCP.

It is the students' responsibility, in consultation with their advisors, to make certain that any registration changes will fulfill the degree requirements.

Course Scheduling Preference for Veteran Students

Veteran students (as defined below) are granted course scheduling preference (in accordance with Pennsylvania legislation – Act 46 of 2014 - (Act of May 14, 2014, P.L. 667, No. 46) during the priority registration period.  Active military members also receive course scheduling preference during the priority registration period.

Course scheduling preference means veteran students are able to start registering for courses sooner than students with the same class standing. Dates for priority registration and the procedure for veterans scheduling are published each semester on the College's website.

Eligible students must provide documentation confirming their status as an active military member or veteran as defined below. Supporting documentation such as the DD-214 must be received before the priority registration period.

A Veteran – Per Act 46 of 2014 (Act of May 14, 2014, P.L. 667, No. 46):

  1. Has served in the United States Armed Forces, including a reserve component and National Guard; and
  2. Was discharged or released from such service under conditions other than dishonorable.
  3. Veterans who completed their obligated service in the Reserves and National Guard but were not deployed to active duty are included in this definition.

A Veteran Student – Per Act 46 of 2014 (Act of May 14, 2014, P.L. 667, No. 46):

  1. Is a veteran.
  2. Has been admitted to a public institution of higher education; and
  3. Resides in Pennsylvania while enrolled in the public institution of higher education.
  4. Veteran students may or may not be using veterans educational benefits at the institution.
  5. Act 46 of 2014 applies to veteran students admitted to all for-credit courses and programs offered at the institution.

For additional information or questions regarding course scheduling preference for veteran students, contact the Veteran's Resource Center at //vets [at] (vets[at]ccp[dot]edu).

Act 46 of 2014 requires public institutions of higher education in Pennsylvania to provide veteran students, as defined in the Act, with preference in course scheduling. Non-compliance may be reported to the Pennsylvania Department of Education by submitting the Higher Education Student Complaint form found at


It is the responsibility of the students to comply with the instructor's class attendance guidelines/policies, including the general requirement for verifying attendance. It is also the responsibility of the students to complete assignments, including those that involve out-of-class or online participation. Students are responsible for informing instructors in advance about anticipated absences. Students should recognize that individual sections of a course may be taught differently and that the instructor's attendance policy for individual sections of a course may not be the same.

Aside from the learning opportunities missed due to absences from class, excessive absence could result in significant academic penalty (failing a course), being asked to drop the course, or being counseled to withdraw from the term.

At the 20% mark of a semester or term, faculty report whether a student has Attended ("A") or Never Attended ("NA").  Students who have never attended will be administratively dropped from class rosters. A student's financial aid eligibility may be impacted by courses dropped due to never beginning attendance.

At the 50% mark of a semester or term, faculty report academic progress in the form of Satisfactory ("S") or Unsatisfactory ("U").  Fifty percent Academic Progress reports need to be entered only for terms of at least ten (10) weeks.

Individual faculty members have the right to establish rules regarding attendance at class sessions and laboratories that they consider necessary for successful completion of the course materials. These rules may include a reduced grade for students who miss classes.


  • A student may withdraw from a course or courses without academic penalty up to and including the eleventh (11th) week of a regular term, and up to and including the equivalent of the eleventh (11th) week in a nonstandard term
  • Students may process an official withdraw online using the student portal, or by speaking with a counselor
  • If the official withdrawal is processed with the Office of Student Records & Registration within the established time limit, the student's grade report will show the grade W (withdrawal)
  • If the official withdrawal is not processed within the established time limit, the student's grade report will show F (failure)
  • Students who are members of the Pennsylvania National Guard or other reserve component of the armed forces who are called or ordered to active duty, and the student's affected spouse, can request an excused withdrawal, with proper documentation, and receive a leave of absence for military duty. The student and the affected spouse will receive an "M" grade on their transcript.

Student Load

A full-time student is one taking 12 or more credit hours. Students expecting to graduate within two years must successfully complete 15 to 17 credit hours each semester or complete summer courses. The required number of credit hours depends on the curriculum in which the student is enrolled.

Many full-time students take longer than four semesters to complete the requirements for graduation and to reach their personal goals. Some find it necessary to take developmental courses, for which they do not receive credit, to develop critical basic skills in their first semesters. Others elect to take only four courses a term to meet both the requirements of college-level academic work and their own personal needs.

A credit hour at the College is defined as an amount of work that reasonably approximates not less than one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class work each week for approximately 15 weeks or its equivalent over a different period of time.

Courses are designed such that students should expect to study a minimum of two hours outside of class for every hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction. Therefore, a full-time student registered for 12 hours per week should expect to spend at least 24 hours a week studying (12 x 2 = 24).

Careful planning and discussion with faculty and counselors can establish the best plan for the student, who should keep an open mind in developing plans for educational and career success.

Grading System

The grading system at Community College of Philadelphia is a letter system with associated quality points, which are used to compute cumulative grade point averages.

FS0Failure - Stopped Attending
*Number of quality points earned
Other Grades
As a result of testing and placement, students may be required to register for certain courses which do not carry credit towards graduation. These courses are numbered below 100. They are graded "Pass," "Making Progress" and "Fail." 
MPMaking Progress 

(Not factored into grade point average)

Other Designations

MMilitary Absence Withdrawal 
NRNo report from instructor at the time grades were processed 

The total number of quality points received for the semester may be computed as follows:

  • For each course for which a grade was received, multiply the number of credit hours for that course by the number of quality points earned (determined by the grade received for that course, using the chart of equivalents above).
  • Total the results.
  • The grade point average for the semester may then be computed by dividing the total number of quality points received by the total number of credit hours for all of the courses for which grades were received. (The cumulative grade point average is determined by doing the above figuring for the total number of semesters attended.) Courses from which a student has officially withdrawn are not included in the computation; however, they are counted in calculating academic progress.

Academic Progress and Reporting Grades

Mid-term Academic Progress Reports reflect a student's level of academic progress as of the 50 percent point of the semester, and are assigned by faculty members. These Academic Progress Reports are unofficial and do not appear on the student's transcript. These reports are designed to inform students of their mid-term standing and assist in making course selections for the next term.

Students may access mid-term Academic Progress Reports and final grade information online using MyCCP. Paper grade mailers may be provided upon written request made to the Office of Student Records and Registration.

Semester Honors

Students must:

  1. Achieve a semester grade point average of at least 3.2;
  2. Complete at least 6 credit hours in courses carrying credit toward graduation;
  3. Receive no grade of less than "C" during an academic honors list semester (i.e., fall or spring semester);
  4. Receive no "Incomplete" grade during the academic honors semester.

Class Status

Class status, either freshman or sophomore, is determined by the number of credit hours earned. Freshman status is maintained up to and including 29 credit hours. Sophomore status begins when 30 credits have been earned.


With permission of the instructor teaching the course, a student may register in a course as an auditor. No credit will be given.

Permission to change from study-for-credit status to auditing (no credit) status must be obtained from the instructor by the end of the equivalent second week of each term. The instructor must submit an Audit Form to the Office of Student Records and Registration. The instructor may change the grade of an auditor either at mid-term or on the final grade report from "AU" to "W" in case of excessive absence or lack of participation in the course.

Audited courses do not count in determining student eligibility for financial aid. Students receiving financial aid should contact the Office of Financial Aid before changing a course from study-for-credit status to auditing status. Audit grades will not be used in determining academic load for veteran certification.

Change of Student Information

The Office of Student Records and Registration must be notified in writing of all changes of name, address and Social Security Number. It is the student's responsibility to keep the College informed.

Official or legal documentation is required to change a name or Social Security Number. A valid Social Security card is required to change or correct a Social Security Number. To change or correct a name requires a state-issued photo ID or driver's license, court order, marriage license or birth certificate.

Change of Residency

Students attending the College who wish to change their residency must complete a Change of Residency form as follows:

  1. Login to MyCCP to access the secure portal.
  2. Under the "Student" tab, locate the Electronic Forms section block in the right-hand column.
  3. Click "Records and Registration Forms" to show available forms.
  4. Select the form you wish to complete.  Once all information is correct, "Submit" the form for review.

Change of residency for tuition and mailing purposes is the sole responsibility of the student. Please note that a student's residency classification for purposes of tuition calculation will not be adjusted after the third week of the semester. Any changes made to residency after the third week will be reflected in the following semester.

Change of Curriculum

To change curriculum, a student may go to Counseling or Advising and discuss the proposed change. With their advice and approval, they will submit a Change of Curriculum form that will require the student's signature for approval.

Any curriculum changes made after the third week of the fall or spring semester will be reflected in the following semester; this may impact the academic year of the new program. Students seeking entrance to an Allied Health program by way of the change of curriculum process must consult the specific counselors designated to advise these students and meet the required deadlines.

Students must follow the curriculum outlined in the Catalog in effect for the academic year they enter a program. If students change their curriculum, they must then follow the Catalog in effect for the academic year that they enter the new program.

If a curriculum is revised while students are enrolled in the program, students have the following options:

  1. Continue to follow the requirements in the existing curriculum; OR
  2. Change to the revised curriculum if the new requirements are better suited for transfer or employment. If students elect to follow the new curriculum, they may not return to the previous curriculum requirements.

Formation of Sections and Cancellation of Courses

Formation and continuation of class sections and courses of instruction are subject to adequate enrollment. The administration, acting on behalf of the Board of Trustees, reserves the right to cancel a course or section, to change the time of meeting, to subdivide a section, or to combine two or more sections as circumstances may require.