Community College of Philadelphia has partnered with Single Stop USA, a nonprofit organization delivering services to more than 120,000 families nationwide, to establish a new service for students that connects them to state and federal financial resources and local community services. The aim is to help students overcome economic barriers, continue with their education and move towards economic mobility. Single Stop will initially offer benefit eligibility prescreening and assistance to apply for these benefits. Additional services will be phased in over the 2013-14 academic year, including financial education, legal services and tax preparation. All services are free to students.
Single Stop provides free and comprehensive social and financial services:
- Benefits Screening – Quick screening will provide you with information as to whether you qualify for federal/state benefits, such as food and nutrition programs (SNAP, WIC) and health insurance (CHIP, Medicaid). In addition, Single Stop staff will assist you in applying for the benefits.
- Financial Education – Financial services to help you establish and achieve your financial goals. You will receive help on how to build your assets and assistance with debt management.
- Legal Counseling – On-site attorneys will help you handle legal problems, such as housing issues, food stamp denials, disability claims, tax issues, immigration status and other legal issues.
- Referral Services – After completing the pre-screening process, staff will assess your needs and make referrals to other resources in your community.
FREE Tax Preparation and Filing for All Students
From January 15–April 15, 2014, Single Stop will offer free tax preparation and filing for all Community College of Philadelphia students. Tax preparers will determine if you and family members are eligible to receive the Earned Income, American Opportunity or Child Tax Credits, and refunds for eligible recipients will be available within two weeks. Make an appointment today! You may then complete the FAFSA once your taxes are completed.
Weekly Hours for Tax Preparation and Filing:
Monday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Tuesday and Wednesday: 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Walk-ins are welcome.
Office Location: M1-23
What You Need to Bring for Your Tax Preparation Session:
- Picture ID
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for spouse and dependents
- Wage and earning statement, such as W-2, W-2G or 1099-R forms
- Total amount paid to your daycare provider, provider’s tax identifying number, and the provider’s Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
- Copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Students that did not work and cannot be claimed—bring 1098 form, available on MyCCP, for the Education Credit
Health Care Enrollment Assistance Sessions
Beginning January 28
Single Stop, in partnership with the Department of Health and Human Services and The Health Federation, will bring certified navigators to help students enroll in a health plan that meets their needs. Multiple sessions will be available to accommodate our student schedules. If you're a current student, schedule your appointment TODAY!
To schedule an appointment, stop by the Single Stop office in Room M1-21, call us at 267-299-5910 or email us. Walk-ins are also welcome.
Fall and spring semester hours
Mint Building, Room M1-21
267-299-5910 or email us
Single Stop staff will confidentially meet with you individually to help determine the potential resources and benefits that could help you reach your educational goals.