Study Abroad - Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


Q.  What are the requirements to apply and who can apply?
A.  Any person who is enrolled in at least one course in the fall and spring semesters before the trip.  You must have completed 12 Community College of Philadelphia credits before applying. You must have a 2.5 GPA or higher and you should not have any records of disciplinary action by the College.

Q. Can I pay for the program with my financial aid?
A.  In some cases you may be able to pay with financial aid. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office.

Q. What happens if I cannot go on the trip once I have been chosen?
A.  If you decide not to participate in the trip before any expenses (plane tickets, hotels, etc.) are made on your behalf, you will be refunded 100%. Once the Office of Study Abroad has incurred any expenses on your behalf, your money is non-refundable.

Q.  Is there a lot of walking or strenuous activity on these trips?  
A. Because of the nature of these trips, there is usually a lot of walking. A few trips feature climbing, horseback riding, canoeing, swimming and snorkeling.  You will be informed in advance of any such required activity. Some of the countries visited are tropical countries and the weather is very hot and humid; a high altitude, such as in Peru, can also make activities strenuous.  

Q. Do I need a passport and a visa? Do I have to pay for my passport and visa?
A. You will need a passport to travel abroad.  Depending on the country, US citizens may or may not be required to get a visa.  Participants have to cover the expenses for visa (if required) and passports.

Q. Can I apply for the programs if I am an international student or if I am not a US citizen?
A. Regardless of where you are from, you can apply/participate in any of our programs as long as you  have a valid student visa and you are allowed to leave and enter the USA or if you have a permanent resident card.  Depending on where you are from, the country where you are traveling may required an entry visa.

Q. Can I apply to more than one program at the same time?
A. Yes, you can apply to more than one trip being offered, but you can only participate in ONE of the programs.  

Q. Where does the group stay while abroad? 
A. Except for certain trips that include a family-stay (students stay with host families), the group stays in comfortable, clean, safe hotels.  In order to keep the cost down and affordable, hotels are one or two stars hotels.  Most of the time, you will have to share a hotel room with another participant of the same gender.

Q. How do we travel while in-country?
A. The group may travel by taxi, chartered van or bus, boat and public transportation.

Q. Do I need to know a foreign language to participate? 
A. Knowledge of a foreign language is not necessary to participate.  We hope you will learn some of the language and that you'll end up wanting to learn another language.