Study Abroad 2018: Information, Requirements and Application
The program fee paid by students who are selected through this application process is $850. This covers airfare, accommodations, local transportation, travel insurance and some meals.
The program fee does not include the additional costs below. All amounts are approximate.
- Passport (required): $100
- Tuition for one-credit IDS 120 course: $197
- Updated inoculations. Travel shots are not required for Japan.
- Miscellaneous expenses/personal expenses: $300
Participation Requirements and Important Information
- To be eligible, students must have completed at least 12 credits at Community College of Philadelphia by the end of Fall 2017, be registered in Spring 2018 courses at the College, and be in good academic standing with no disciplinary holds.
- When the selection process is complete, selected students must enroll in and pay tuition for the one-credit course, Interdisciplinary Studies 120: Introduction to a Study-Abroad Site. IDS 120 will require approximately 9 hours of pre- and post- departure meetings, which will be arranged by group leaders. Attendance is mandatory. In IDS 120, students will read, write and discuss materials to prepare for and reflect upon the study-abroad experience.
- The application is due on December 18, 2017.
- Notification of the finalists will begin in mid-January.
- After travel, students will be expected to participate in presentations or panel discussions to share their study abroad experience with others in the College community.
Selection Criteria Among Eligible Applicants
A diverse group of students will be selected based on the following:
- Academic performance in Community College of Philadelphia courses, as indicated by grades in courses. A current, unofficial College transcript is required and must include courses being taken in Spring 2018.
- One Community College of Philadelphia faculty member’s written recommendation. Faculty recommendations must address the following: (a) The student’s interest in the target destination, intellectual curiosity, and/or relevant personal/career goals, as well as markers of solid academic work. (b) The student’s reliability, as demonstrated through his/her activities, such as being prepared for class, attending and participating in class, and submitting assignments on time. (c) The student’s adaptability and ability to contribute to and function abroad in a small group: getting along with faculty, other students, and people from backgrounds different from his or her own.
- A carefully written statement by the applicant of 300-600 words explaining past coursework, reading and/or experience that led you to be interested in this particular opportunity, and how studying and visiting the program/country for which you are applying for would further your personal career goals.
- Selected finalists will be contacted for an interview by a selection committee.
Application and Payment
How to access the Community College of Philadelphia Scholarship Application 2017-2018:
- Go to the MyCCP Portal and login
- Select the "Student" tab
- Scroll down on the left and click on "Scholarships and Awards"
- Click on "Scholarship Application"
- Scroll down and select blue button to begin the 2016-2017 scholarship application
- Please be sure to answer the question “Are you interested in Studying Abroad?” by saying YES
- Also, you MUST complete the Essay Question immediately following. In your essay you should address specifically why you want to travel to Japan.
Good luck! Please call the Scholarship Office at 215-496-6182 if you have any questions about the scholarship application.