Free and open to the public. Small presses welcome.
Join members of the Philadelphia literary community to network and listen to provocative panels on the topic of small presses and community building. Bring fliers and information about your special projects. Share what you publish!
- 9:40 – 11:10 a.m., Philadelphia Celebrates Small Presses: Editors from the Head and the Hand Press, Fact-Similie Press, Lantern Fish Press and Philadelphia Stories will discuss their various publishing ventures, from creating small-edition books, to launching magazines and start-up imprints, to making handmade works of literary art.
- 11:20 a.m. – 12:50 p.m., Catered Lunch & Entertainment: Students from the Spoken Word Poetry Club and CCPTV’s Drop the Mic TV Show will entertain with poetry and spoken word performances. Free copies of Painted Bride Quarterly while they last!
- 1 – 2:30 p.m., Philadelphia as Literary Community: How do you create a literary community to sustain you through the often lonely business of being a writer? How can a reading series or volunteering on an editorial staff help you connect and develop new skills? Join Tamara Oakman (Apiary Magazine), Kathleen Volk Miller (Painted Bride Quarterly) and Jamie-Lee Josselyn (Kelly Writers House) discussing the readings, workshops and networking that drives Philly’s literary communities.
- 2:40 – 3 p.m.: Fiction reading by Simone Zelitch, whose new novel Waveland isforthcoming from Head and the Hand Press.
- 3 – 4 p.m.: Mingling with book fair participants
Journal Swap: If you have literary journals from the past few years to exchange, bring them to trade in for someone else’s “new” one!