Play a critical role in preventing infection. Sterile Processing technicians perform and participate in decontamination, cleaning, assembling, packaging, scanning, sterilization, storage and distribution of reusable surgical instrumentation and equipment. The central service department of a health care facility is the hub of all activity surrounding supplies and equipment needed for surgery and patient care.
Students who complete this program will be prepared to sit for the Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician (CSPDT) exam from the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD).
Key topics covered
- Instrumentation— Knowledge of surgical instruments and specialty devices
- Processing of Surgical Instrumentation— Decontamination, packaging and sterilization of surgical instrumentation
- Processing of Moveable Patient Equipment—Processing, cleaning, testing, assembly and distribution of movable patient care equipment
- Storage and Inventory— Storage, handling and distribution of sterile surgical instrumentation and devices, as well as inventory control and cost recovery systems
- Medical Terminology— Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and microbiology
- Prevention Processes — Infection prevention, decontamination, and disinfection processes
Optional Volunteer Externship Opportunity
Learners who complete this program are eligible to participate and gain hands-on experience in an optional volunteer externship opportunity with a local company/agency/organization whose work aligns with this area of study. As learners progress through the program, an externship coordinator will reach out to coordinate placement.
Note: Additional documentation including health records, immunizations, drug screening, criminal background checks, etc., may be required by the externship facility.
Course Dates and Times
|Date and Times||Location||Course Cost/Fees|
Mondays & Wednesdays
(No class May 30, 2022)