Learn the core values, concepts, vocabulary, knowledge base and practice skills for helping relationships. You will learn how to work with individuals of varying ages and abilities in a variety of settings, using skills sets such as assessing readiness, identifying key challenges, establishing goals and taking specific action steps. This certificate is designed for individuals interested in employment as casework assistants, case managers, residential support staff, youth advocates, mental health assistants, peer counselor, support staff and youth ministries.
Healthcare Social Worker
Provide individuals, families, and groups with the psychosocial support needed to cope with chronic, acute, or terminal illnesses. Services include advising family care givers, providing patient education and counseling, and making referrals for other services.
in the region
in the region
- Collaborate with other professionals to evaluate patients' medical or physical condition and to assess client needs.
- Advocate for clients or patients to resolve crises.
- Refer patient, client, or family to community resources to assist in recovery from mental or physical illness and to provide access to services such as financial assistance, legal aid, housing, job placement or education.
- Investigate child abuse or neglect cases and take authorized protective action when necessary.
- Counsel clients and patients in individual and group sessions to help them overcome dependencies, recover from illness, and adjust to life.
How well does it pay?
New workers generally start around $35,769. Normal pay for Healthcare Social Workers is $52,882 per year, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as $73,545.