Prepare for an entry-level position in the industries that use process operators—organizations such as Philadelphia Gas Works, the Philadelphia Water Department, Tasty Baking Company and pharmaceutical companies. Process technology is a controlled and monitored series of operations, steps or tasks that converts raw material into a product. A process technician monitors and controls mechanical, physical and/or chemical changes that constitute a process; troubleshoots equipment problems; and analyzes, evaluates and communicates data. The proficiency certificate is a credential recognized for preparing students with the basic knowledge and skills to perform entry-level operations in process control.
|Course Number and Name||Prerequisites||Credits||PTEC 103 - Introduction to Process Technology and Plant Equipment||FNMT 118 or MATH 118 placement CHEM 110||4 credits|
|CHEM 110 - Introductory Chemistry||FNMT 118 or MATH 118 placement ENGL 101 ready||4 credits|
|CIS 103 - Applied Computer Technology||3 credits|
|FNMT 118 - Intermediate Algebra||3 credits|
|ASET 110 - Safety, Health and the Environment||3 credits|
General Education Requirements:
All general education requirements necessary for graduation are met through the courses in the program as indicated above. Students who wish to take courses that differ from the general education courses indicated above must complete a course substitution request form. To access the form, login to the MyCCP portal, and in the Student tab, under Electronic Forms, click on the Records and Registration Forms link, then choose Request For Course Substitution Of Graduation Requirement link. A more detailed explanation of the College’s general education requirements is also available.
Industrial Engineering Technicians
Apply engineering theory and principles to problems of industrial layout or manufacturing production, usually under the direction of engineering staff. May perform time and motion studies on worker operations in a variety of industries for purposes.
in the region
Job Rate Fluctuates
in the region
- Design new equipment or materials or recommend revision to methods of operation, material handling, equipment layout, or other changes to increase production or improve standards.
- Test selected products at specified stages in the production process for performance characteristics or adherence to specifications.
- Compile and evaluate statistical data to determine and maintain quality and reliability of products.
- Interpret engineering drawings, schematic diagrams, or formulas for management or engineering staff.
- Study time, motion, methods, or speed involved in maintenance, production, or other operations to establish standard production rate or improve efficiency.
How well does it pay?
New workers generally start around $41,054. Normal pay for Industrial Engineering Technicians is $60,215 per year, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as $97,376.