Community College of Philadelphia Foundation
NEWS and EVENTS
There are always BIG things going on at Community College of Philadelphia...
Community College of Philadelphia's First Ever Comprehensive Campaign Heads Toward Successful Conclusion — Raising $3 Million More Than the Campaign Goal.
The final gifts are coming in for the Expanding Possibilities Campaign in which the College received its largest gift ever in February of 2010 from Barnes & Noble Booksellers. This January, the College broke that record with a gift from the Gilroy and Lillian P. Roberts Foundation (see below).
As the end of the campaign approaches, anticipated gifts will contribute to a final figure required by the Kresge Foundation to award the College a $1.2 million challenge grant.
Single Largest Gift Ever in College’s History from the Gilroy and Lillian P. Roberts Foundation
A gift of $1,020,000 from the Gilroy and Lillian P. Roberts Foundation marks the single largest private donation in the history of the College. The donation will be used for Main Campus improvements. The gift was made to honor Gilroy Roberts, the ninth Chief Engraver of the U.S. Mint (1949-1964), who worked in the building that is now the College’s administration building. To honor the donation, the College will create an exhibition in the Mint Building. The display will include some of Roberts’ artistic and professional work in an educational, interactive exhibit that will be illustrative of process and product.
Renovations at the College’s Northeast Regional Center Feature Dramatic New Art Studio. Click here to learn more.
To see all of the eco-friendly improvements on Main Campus, click here.
College Leads Consortium in $20 Million Statewide Retraining Initiative
Community College of Philadelphia is taking the lead in a $20 million federal grant that was awarded to the state’s 14 community colleges to create and enhance educational programs that will quickly retrain laid-off workers in Pennsylvania for jobs in the high-demand fields of energy, healthcare and advanced manufacturing. The grant is part of nearly $500 million in grants as part of the U.S. Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training program.
Community College of Philadelphia will be the consortium leader and the state’s community colleges will work with the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry, industry groups and more than 25 companies, such as Exelon Generation and Nestle Purina Petcare, to retrain residents for careers that have been identified as having a high demand for skilled labor.
Tuition Gap Day Creates Awareness
Following Spring Break, there will be an effort on Main Campus and in the Regional Centers to make students aware of the gap between tuition payments and the actual cost of a college education. The effort is called “Tuition Gap Day” and highlights the fact that only 57.5% of a year of education at Community College of Philadelphia is covered by tuition. In learning that the other 42.5% is from public and private sources, members of the College community appreciate the importance of philanthropy.
Student Giving Campaign
Another way students can get involved and make a difference is by making a donation — of any amount — to the Student Giving Campaign. In 2011 the Student Giving Campaign raised money to support student scholarships, the emergency book fund and other important projects at the College. If you would like to make a donation in support of the Student Giving Campaign please visit our Ways to Give page.
Top 5 reasons students should give to the Student Giving Campaign:
- To be a part of an important tradition of student giving at Community College of Philadelphia
- To help both current and future students obtain their degree
- To be listed in the Annual Report
- For a gift of $20.12 or over, donors will receive a specially-designed, commemorative t-shirt
- To help fill the Tuition Gap
For more information, contact Anne McGrath at email@example.com or 215-751-8022.