College Catalog 2013-2014
Billing/Financial Service Representative Proficiency Certificate
The Billing Financial Service Representative Proficiency Certificate prepares the students to assume more complex responsibilities as a Patient Service Representative. These responsibilities focus on the management of a front office medical practice and can include data entry oversight for patient scheduling and record keeping, staff supervision, maintaining document imaging and medical files, verifying insurance information and utilizing proper billing procedures.
The Billing Financial Service Proficiency Certificate can be taken as a certificate only Program or as part of the Patient Service Representative Associate Degree Program.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the courses in the Billing Financial Service Representative Certificate the student will be able to:
- Use a medical office software program to perform billing and accounting procedures.
- Perform the technological function needed to manage a medical office.
- Explain the importance of a financial policy for a medical office.
- Complete simulated medical billing and collection procedures using critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Incorporate managerial theories into the role and the responsibilities of a medical office manager.
- Explain aspects of and factors related to current trends in health care management and delivery.
- Apply knowledge of key issues in health care financing, insurance, delivery, organization, policy, administration, access and quality in the United States to administrative decision-making and policy development.
Courses in the certificate require students to be ENGL 101 ready. It is recommended that students take the Patient Service Representative Proficiency Certificate prior to the Billing Financial Service Proficiency Certificate.
Billing/Financial Service Representative Proficiency Certificate Course Sequence
|Course Number||Course Title||Prerequisites||Credits|
|Tier II Billing/Financial Service Representative|
|AH 204||Medical Law and Ethics||ENGL 101||3 credits|
|AH 220||Information Management Systems in Health Care||CIS 103, AH 112||3 credits|
|AH 260||Supervisory Management in Health Care||AH 204||3 credits|
|AH 222||Health Care Policy and Administration||AH 120, AH 204||3 credits|
|AH 224||Current Issues and Trends in Health Care||AH 120, AH 204||3 credits|
|Total Credits: 15|
Successful completion of the program requires a “C” grade or better in each of the courses listed above. In order to receive a “C” grade or better and thus demonstrate competency, students must complete assignments, exams and participate in class activities.
For More Information Contact:
The Division of Math, Science and Health Careers, Room W2-7, 1700 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130, Telephone (215) 751-8430 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.