Community College of Philadelphia's Opportunity Now program provides Philadelphia residents who have been laid off from a full time, nonseasonal position—either permanently or indefinitely—with a tuition-free opportunity to make a new career start.
- Applicant must be both a resident of Philadelphia County* and either a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident.
- Applicant must have been laid off permanently or indefinitely from a full-time, nonseasonal position within the past 12 months.
- Applicant must present: (1) a letter from the former employer on official company stationery stating the actual layoff date and the fact that he or she lost a full-time, nonseasonal job through no fault of his or her own, but due to the economic climate; and (2) a copy of his or her last full time regular pay stub.
- Applicant will follow the regular admissions, advising and registration procedures, with assistance from College staff in securing financial aid to continue further studies.
- Applicant is eligible for a tuition waiver for up to 12 credits for one semester, excluding noncredit courses.
- After tuition is waived, applicant must pay costs for required textbooks, supplies and fees.
- All College policies apply.
- It is in an applicant's best interest to apply for the traditional financial aid programs. Please consult with a financial aid advisor.
- Applications must be received and approved prior to the stated deadline for each semester.
* Residents are defined as adults who have lived in Philadelphia for at least 12 months if they moved to Philadelphia from another state, or three months if they moved from another location in Pennsylvania. Documentation may be required.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org