Text A+ A- A

The tragic shooting in Oregon serves as a sobering reminder that safety and security is both our individual and collective responsibility, and each of us contributes in important ways.

Over the weekend, the FBI and ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) notified all area colleges and universities of social media posts directing threats of violence at an institution of higher learning near Philadelphia on Monday, October 5. While there is no threat against a specific college or university, the advisory reminds us we must vigorously monitor our surroundings and work together to keep the city safe.

The College’s Department of Safety and Security has increased security and is working with the Philadelphia Police Department to increase patrols on the College’s Main Campus and the West, Northwest and Northeast Regional Centers.

Please report suspicious activity to security at (215)751-8111 or call extension 5555 from a College phone. Call 911 to report any active threat to law enforcement.

Federal Student Aid

Once your FAFSA has been processed and all necessary documentation has been reviewed, you will receive a financial aid award notification. Below are descriptions of the Federal Student Aid grants that you may be eligible to receive.

Federal Pell Grants

The Federal Pell Grant is federal money that does not have to be repaid. Generally, Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students—those who have not earned a bachelor's or graduate degree. In some limited cases, however, you might receive a Pell Grant if you are enrolled in a postbaccalaureate teacher certificate program.

Pell Grants are usually a foundation of federal student aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added. If you are eligible for a Pell Grant, you will receive the full amount for which you qualify.

Watch: What is a Pell Grant?

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This grant is for undergraduates (with low Expected Family Contributions or EFCs). The amount of aid you receive depends on such factors as your financial need, the amount of other aid you will receive and the availability of funds at your school. Unlike the Federal Pell Grant program, which provides every eligible student with funds, each school participating in any of the campus-based programs receives a fixed amount each year from the federal government. When that money is exhausted, no further awards can be made from that program for that year.

Watch: What is a FSEOG?

College Federal Work-Study Program (CWSP)

CWSP is a federally funded campus-based program that allows students to earn money for educational costs through part-time employment. The program offers jobs at the College and with off-campus community service agencies. Students are paid on an hourly basis and usually work 10–15 hours per week. To work in a CWSP position, students must apply for financial aid by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and demonstrate financial need. Eligible students must use MyCCP to accept the Work-Study award in full or in part. Students can also express acceptance by writing to the Office of Financial Aid.

Know your Loans

Know your loans. Watch these videos.