Text A+ A- A


Logos for the Military Advance Education and Military Friendly SchoolCommunity College of Philadelphia can help your achieve your academic and career goals. Veterans, spouses and dependents may qualify to receive a monthly allowance toward tuition, allowing you to earn a college education for less.

Please review the eligibility requirements to see if you qualify for educational benefits at the Veterans Affairs website. Additional tuition assistance is also available.

If you need assistance with your Veterans Registration Certification Form, please contact:

Laura McBride
Veterans School Certifying Official
1700 Spring Garden Street, Room MG-19
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Contact Laura McBride

How to Apply

STEP 1 — Apply to the College

Apply online or in-person at Main Campus or the Regional Center nearest you.

You will receive a welcome email that confirms that your application has been received and provides instructions for the next step in the enrollment process.

If you have questions, please email us or call 215-751-8010.

Attention transfer students: You must request a copy of your transcripts for evaluation and send it to the following address:
Community College of Philadelphia 
1700 Spring Garden Street 
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Attn: Transcript Evaluation Office, MG-17

For more information, visit our Transfer Students page.

STEP 2 — Review Programs

If you have relevant military training, you may be eligible for credit through prior learning assessment.

STEP 3  — Apply for Financial Aid

You may be qualified for additional state and federal financial aid. Applying for financial aid must be done every year. You will find information about financial aid and tuition assistance opportunities in our Paying for College section of this website.

STEP 4 — Review the Eligibility Requirements for Education Benefits Programs

The Department of Veterans Affairs offers several different programs for individuals that meet specific qualifications. For the most up-to-date information, visit www.gibill.va.gov, stop by the Veterans Resource Center on the ground floor of the Bonnell Building, Room BG-43, or email.

STEP 5 — Apply for Appropriate Education Benefits

Once you have identified the program for which you are qualified, apply online through the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP). You can request that a form be mailed to you by calling 1.888.GIBILL.1 (1.888.442.4551).

STEP 6 — Activate Your MyCCP Student Account

You will receive a letter with instructions on how to activate your MyCCP account, which will allow you to communicate with the College and allow us to communicate with you.

You will also be given a College email account and will receive emails about next steps in admissions, financial aid, testing and registration.

STEP 7 — Take the Placement Test

The placement tests are very important because the results—in writing, reading and math—are used to determine if you will be placed into college-level courses. If not, you may first need to enroll in developmental classes or pre-college workshops, for which you do not earn credit toward a degree program. Learn more about the placement test.

  • You may schedule your placement test date through your MyCCP student account.
  • To prepare for the placement test, click here to view the test descriptions.

Transfer students may be waived from this testing based on transcript evaluation.

STEP 8 — Register for Classes

VA Benefits

We have provided an overview of the requirements necessary to be eligible for the VA benefits programs approved by Community College of Philadelphia. Please read the descriptions of the requirements listed below to determine which program you qualify for. Click on the name of each program to access a comprehensive webpage with detailed information about that program.

Montgomery G. I. Bill (Chapter 30)
You are eligible if you enlisted after July 1, 1985; served at least two years on Active Duty; your pay was reduced by $100 per month for the first 12 months of service; you have an honorable discharge; and you have not passed the 10-year delimiting date.

Montgomery G. I. Bill - Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606)
You are eligible if you incurred a 6-year enlistment in the Selected Reserves or the National Guard after July 1, 1985; completed initial active duty training; are serving in good standing in your unit; and you have not passed the 10-year delimiting date.

Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32) and Vietnam Era G.I. Bill (Chapter 34)
Eligibility depends on the dates of active duty service; amount contributed; and recent VA legislation. Call the VA at 1.888.442.4551 to determine your individual eligibility.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
See the questions and answers page to learn more about this benefit, which became available in 2005.

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)
Dependents of veterans (spouses and children ages 18-26) are eligible if the veteran has a 100 percent service-connected disability or the veteran's death was service-connected.

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
Veterans who suffered a service-connected disability while on active duty and need vocational rehabilitation as a result of their disability (normally 20 percent or greater) may be eligible for benefits. See more information about this benefit by clicking on the link above. You can contact the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor at the Federal Building, Harrisburg, PA or call 717.221.3476 or .4445

The Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after Sept. 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for this Bill, which became effective for training in 2009.

Additional Contacts

Local Philadelphia Veterans Benefit Office
Veterans Administration Office
5000 Wissahickon Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19101

Local Veterans Administration Hospital
Philadelphia VA Medical Center
3900 Woodland Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141

Veterans Work Study Program
Veterans Administration Regional Office - Buffalo, N.Y.
Work Study Program