- 10/06/2014 - 16:12As colorful flags representing Spanish speaking countries fluttered from the ceiling of the Great Hall in the Winnet Student Life Building, more than 100 members of the College family and their guests enjoyed Latin music, fajitas and uplifting messages during the 5th Annual Hispanic Heritage Month Luncheon on October 1. Students took the stage to discuss their paths at Community College of Philadelphia and shared career goals. Dr. Donald Generals, College president, opened the program and welcomed the audience in...
- 10/06/2014 - 16:22On Sept. 23, The CCP Six jazz ensemble serenaded an appreciative crowd gathered to celebrate the countdown to the College’s 50th anniversary. Faculty, staff and administrators in the band harmonized on jazz melodies and entertained the crowd, as many munched on donuts and pastries, ate anniversary cookies, wore anniversary buttons and sipped their morning coffee in the Bonnell Circle. The band, which had only rehearsed once, included music instructor Mary Ellen Desmond on vocals; instructor Grander Smith on the keyboards;...
- 09/25/2014 - 14:39Hayward L. Bell is a corporate executive who works in Waltham, Mass., but his heart has never let go of his South Philadelphia roots or Community College of Philadelphia, the place that set him on a path to success. Bell, who earned an Associate in Applied Science in Accounting from the College in 1973, is Chief Diversity Officer for Raytheon, a global technology and defense company with 63,000 employees. After making an initial $125,000 gift last year, he endowed an...
- 09/05/2014 - 10:53Thirty-two entrepreneurs, the largest class ever for 10,000 Small Businesses—Greater Philadelphia, celebrated the completion of the program August 22 at a graduation ceremony in the Center for Business and Industry. In alphabetical order, the graduates are: Cassandra Bailey, president and CEO of Slice Communications; Donahue Bailey, president and CEO of Atrium International, Inc.; Liz Bello, manager and co-owner of Mercer Café; Luis Berrios, president of Locating Utility Infrastructure Services, LLC; William Capers, president and CEO of Pitter Patter Learning Center,...
- 08/13/2014 - 14:32Firefighters risk their lives to save life and property, and prevent tragedies from striking families in Philadelphia, which has the fifth largest fire and emergency services department in the country. That responsibility rests with Derrick Sawyer, a 2004 graduate of the Fire Science program who stepped into the job of Philadelphia Fire Commissioner on June 14. “Community College of Philadelphia helped me to re-engage in higher education after being out of school for 20 years. The Fire Science program helped...
3rd Floor Conference Room, C3-5
The Great Hall, S2-19
In The Media
For five years, my sister, a retired college teacher, and decidedly not a wealthy woman, has been giving out scholarships to selected students at Community College of Philadelphia, where she had taught English and communications for a large chunk of her professional life.