What Are Placement Tests?
Before entering Community College of Philadelphia and registering for classes, you will need to take a placement test. The placement tests are very important because the results—in writing, reading and math—are used to determine if you will be placed into college-level courses. If not, you may first need to enroll in developmental classes or pre-college workshops, for which you do not earn credit toward a degree program. Good performance on this test makes you exempt from taking remedial mathematics and English courses, which do not count toward a degree or certificate.
Continue reading for information on test waivers, online scheduling, test times and locations, and contacting the placement test offices.
Learn more about what you can expect to find on the actual test.
For students who score in the level one category on the placement test, learn more about what this means and what to do next.
You are exempt from taking placement tests if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
- You already have a college degree from an accredited college, and you have requested an official transcript be sent to the Transfer Credit and Evaluation Office, Room MG-17
- You have passed college-level English composition and mathematics courses with a "C" or better from an accredited college
- You are interested in taking courses for which testing is not required, such as noncredit Professional Development programs
- You are eligible for the Senior Citizen program
- Within the last two years, you received a minimum SAT score of 510 in English and 470 in mathematics, or a minimum ACT score of 21 in English and 17 in mathematics
Schedule Your Placement Test Online
You may schedule your placement test date through your MyCCP student account.
Attend a Drop-In Session at the Main Campus
Applicants to the College may attend a drop-in placement test in Room BG-14, in the Bonnell Building on the Main Campus any Tuesday at 9:00 a.m. or Thursday at 1:30 p.m.
Times and Locations
IMPORTANT: Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the testing time and have a valid state ID, driver’s license or high school ID. We also offer special accommodations for those with disabilities. ESL testing is only done on the Main Campus.
1700 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130
Bonnell Building, Ground Floor, Room BG-14
Tests are given Monday through Thursday during the summer, and test times vary. Please call 215.751.8010 to check availability.
Northeast Regional Center
12901 Townsend Road, Philadelphia, PA 19154
Test days and times vary from month to month. Please call 215.972.6372 to check availability.
Northwest Regional Center
1300 West Godfrey Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19141 (at Broad and Godfrey near the Eye Institute)
Tests are given on Tuesdays at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Evening tests rotate biweekly. Call 215.751.8773 for more information.
West Regional Center
4725 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19139
Tests are given on Thursdays at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. on a biweekly basis. One evening test per month is given beginning at 5 p.m. Call 267.299.5850 for more information.