What Are Placement Tests?
Before entering Community College of Philadelphia and registering for classes, you will need to take a placement test if you do not qualify for a test waiver. Test scores are valid for two years. Students must be retested after a two-year period unless they have successfully completed an English and/or mathematics course (received a grade of "Pass," "C" or above). Admissions tests for select programs and placement tests for specific courses are also administered.
You are exempt from taking placement tests if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
- You are interested in taking courses for which testing is not required, such as noncredit Professional Development programs
- You are eligible for the Senior Citizen program.
By submitting one of the following:
- A minimum SAT score of 510 in English and 470 in mathematics, or a minimum ACT score of 21 in English and 17 in mathematics, taken within the last two years.
- A score of 4 or 5 on the AP English Lit/Com Exam, or a score of 4 or 5 on the Calculus AB or Calculus BC exam, taken within the last two years.
- A minimum IBT (internet based TOEFL) score of 77 overall and a 20 in writing, taken within the last two years.
- A minimum IELTS score of 6.0 overall and a 6.0 in writing, taken within the last two years.
- An official transcript indicating you have earned a U.S. college degree or have passed college-level English or math with a grade of “C” or higher at an accredited U.S. college or university.
All documents (transcripts and test scores) submitted for placement should be emailed or mailed to:
Community College of Philadelphia
1700 Spring Garden Street
Transfer Credit and Placement Office, MG-17
Philadelphia, PA 19130
If you are not exempt, you need to take the placement tests.
Continue reading for information on online scheduling, test times and locations, and contacting the placement test offices.
Learn more about what you can expect to find on the actual test.
Learn more about our placement levels.
For students who place in the Level 1 category on the placement test, learn more about what this means and what to do next.
Schedule Your Placement Test Online
You may schedule your placement test date through your MyCCP student account.
Attend a Drop-In Session at the Main Campus
Applicants to the College may attend a drop-in placement test in Room BG-14, in the Bonnell Building on the Main Campus anytime on Tuesday or Thursday between 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Times and Locations
IMPORTANT: Please arrive with a valid state ID, driver’s license, or high school ID. We also offer special accommodations for those with disabilities.
1700 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130
Bonnell Building, Ground Floor, Room BG-14
Center hours: Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Scheduled tests are given Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during the academic year, and Monday and Wednesday during summer sessions. Testing is administered on a rolling basis from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. There are also scheduled evening and Saturday tests that are offered during the semester; for exact dates and times of these tests, please log in to you MyCCP student account.
Drop-in tests are offered on Tuesday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Please call 215.751.8010 to check availability.
Northeast Regional Center
12901 Townsend Road, Philadelphia, PA 19154
Test days and times vary from month to month. Please call 215.972.6372 to check availability.
Northwest Regional Center
1300 West Godfrey Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19141 (at Broad and Godfrey near the Eye Institute)
Tests are given either Tuesdays or Fridays at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Evening tests rotate biweekly, and Saturday tests are offered once a month. Call 215.751.8773 for more information.
West Regional Center
4725 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19139
Tests are given on Thursdays at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. on a biweekly basis. One evening test per month is given beginning at 5 p.m. Call 267.299.5850 for more information.
Contact the Assessment Center
For general information regarding placement testing please contact the Assessment Center at email@example.com