Process Technology I Proficiency Certificate
Process Technology is a controlled and monitored series of operations, steps, or tasks that converts raw material into a product. A process technician monitors and controls mechanical, physical and/or chemical changes that constitute a process, troubleshoots equipment problems and analyzes, evaluates and communicates data. A proficiency certificate in level one process technology will prepare students for an entry-level position in the industries that use Process Operators — organizations such as Philadelphia Gas Works, the Philadelphia Water Department, Tasty Baking Company and pharmaceutical companies. The proficiency certificate is a credential recognized for preparing students with the basic knowledge and skills to perform entry-level operations in process control.
Several options exist for a student to obtain this certificate. The student may:
- Take only the courses leading to the certificate.
- Take the courses leading to the certificate as part of the Applied Science and Engineering Technology Associate Degree Program.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Students who complete this certificate will be able to:
- Utilize technology to retrieve, prepare, and compile operator specific documentation.
- Interpret processing schedules, operating logs, and test results to determine operating parameters for assigned equipment.
- Analyze specifications, monitor and adjust controls to meet product requirements.
- Establish proper operating conditions for specific production equipment.
- Work as part of a team to ensure safe and effective product output.
Students must be English 101 ready. This certificate is open to interested students New students are normally required to take the College's placement test at their time of entry. Students who are identified as needing developmental course work must satisfactory complete the appropriate English and mathematics course as part of the certificate.
Process Technology I Proficiency Certificate Course Sequence
|Course Number||Course Title||Prerequisites||Credits|
|PTEC 101||Introduction to Process Technology||ENGL 101 ready, MATH 118 ready.||4|
|CHEM 110||Introductory to Chemistry||MATH 118 placement ENGL 101 ready||4|
|CIS 103||Applied Computer Technology||3|
|PTEC 102||Plant Equipment||PTEC 101||3|
|MATH 118||Intermediate Algebra||3|
|ASET 110||Safety, Health and the Environment||3|
|Total Credits: 20|
Successful completion of the program requires a “C” grade or better in each of the courses listed above. In order to receive a “C” grade or better and thus demonstrate competency, students must complete assignments, exams and participate in class activities.
For More Information Contact:
The Division of Math, Science and Health Careers, Room W2-7, 1700 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130, Telephone (215) 751-8430.