Digital Imaging Proficiency Certificate
This certificate is designed to help students develop skills in basic photography, video production, digital imaging and printing. The photographic imaging industry has undergone a shift towards digital applications in both the professional and amateur markets. The traditional photography custom lab has been transformed into a “service bureau” specializing in postproduction digital imaging services. Professional photographers increasingly shoot in digital form, and the ability to manage digital files is now a prerequisite for the photographer’s assistant. Public relations and media firms which previously used film have transitioned to digital video with editing done on the computer. Employment opportunities exist for photographer and video production assistants with experience in digital imaging techniques.
Students who complete this proficiency certificate can continue seamlessly in the A.A.S. program in Photographic Imaging.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this Digital Imaging proficiency certificate students will be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency with film camera operation and black and white darkroom techniques.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of video production, including preproduction, video acquisition, editing and final output.
- Demonstrate proficiency with Adobe Photoshop tools including creation of composites and image restorations.
- Demonstrate proficiency with digital camera operation, digital workflow and digital printing techniques while applying color management theory.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply accepted aesthetic criteria to given assignments.
This certificate is open to interested students New students are normally required to take the College's placement test at their time of entry. Students who are identified as needing developmental course work must satisfactory complete the appropriate English and mathematics course as part of the certificate.
Digital Imaging Proficiency Certificate Course Sequence
|Course Number||Course Title||Prerequisites||Credits|
|PHOT 101||Basic Photography||4|
|PHOT 104||Introduction to Video Production||3|
|PHOT 151||Digital Imaging||3|
|PHOT 152||Introduction to Color Photography and Digital Printing||PHOT 151 which may be taken concurrently||3|
Total Credits: 13
Successful completion of the program requires a “C” grade or better in each of the courses listed above. In order to receive a “C” grade or better and thus demonstrate competency, students must complete assignments, exams and participate in class activities.
For More Information Contact:
The Division of Liberal Studies, Room BR-21, 1700 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130, Telephone (215) 751-8450; or call the College Information Center (215) 751-8010.