Automotive Service Proficiency Certificate
The Automotive Service Proficiency Certificate is designed for individuals who are interested in entering the field of automotive technology with a basic set of core skills. Students who complete the Proficiency Certificate will be prepared to obtain employment in a small shop, dealership, or chain-based repair facility. When completed, the courses may be applied towards the Automotive Technology-Automotive Service Technology Option Associate in Applied Science Degree.
Student Learning Outcomes:
After completing the identified courses, the students will be able to:
- Diagnose and repair an automotive braking system, including anti-lock braking concerns.
- Repair and align an automotive steering and suspension system using Hunter alignment equipment.
- Analyze an electrical fault using a wiring schematic and repair the electrical system.
Students must complete the College placement test prior to entering this certificate program. Courses for the certificate require students to be ENGL 101 ready.
Automotive Service Proficiency Certificate Course Sequence
|Course Number||Course Title||Prerequisites||Credits|
|AT 100||Introduction to Automotive Technology||2|
|AT 111||Automotive Suspension and Steering Systems||AT 100, which may be taken concurrently||4|
|AT 121||Principles of Automotive Electricity and Electronics||AT 100, which may be taken concurrently||3|
|AT 150||Automotive Braking Systems||AT 100, which may be taken concurrently||2|
|AT 181||Automotive Engine Mechanical Repair||AT 100, which may be taken concurrently||4|
|AT 250||Advanced Braking Systems and Controls||AT 121, AT 150||2|
|Total Credits: 17|
Successful completion of the program requires a "C" grade or better in each of the courses listed above. In order to receive a "C" grade or better and thus demonstrate competency, students must complete assignments, exams and participate in class activities.
Industry Certification Preparation:
- ASE A1 Automotive Engine Repair
- ASE A6 Automotive Electrical Systems
- ASE A4 Steering and Suspension Systems
- ASE A5 Automotive Braking Systems
- PA Safety Inspector License
- PA Emission Inspector License
The Automotive Service Proficiency Certificate is designed for individuals who are:
- Working in the industry as technicians and who are seeking to upgrade their skills and improve their employment opportunities.
- Seeking to acquire the technician skills to begin careers in the automotive industry in entry-level positions.
For More Information Contact:
The Division of Business and Technology, Room B2-22, 1700 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130, Telephone (215) 751-8785; or the College Information Center (215) 751-8010.
Gainful Employment Information
Gainful employment information is intended to provide students with better information about the effectiveness of college programs in preparing students for careers. Information provided includes estimated program costs and time needed to complete the program, financing options and related careers.