Study Abroad 2017: Information, Requirements and Application
The Program Fee paid by students is $850. This covers airfare, accommodations, local transportation and some meals for students who are selected through this application process.
The Program Fee prices above do not include the additional costs below. All amounts are approximate.
- Travel Insurance (required) $95
- Passport (required) $100
- Tuition for one-credit IDS 120 $153
- Inoculations (if required by program or country) $200
- Entry visa (required for some countries) $25
- Miscellaneous expenses/personal expenses $300
Participation Requirements and Important Information
- To be eligible, students must have completed at least 12 credits at Community College of Philadelphia by the end of Fall 2016, be registered in Spring 2017 courses at the College, and be in good academic standing with no disciplinary holds.
- When the selection process is complete, selected students must enroll in and pay tuition for the one-credit course, Interdisciplinary Studies 120: Introduction to a Study-Abroad Site. IDS 120 will require approximately 9 hours of pre- and post- departure meetings, which will be arranged by group leaders. Attendance is mandatory. In IDS 120, students will read, write and discuss materials to prepare for and reflect upon the study-abroad experience.
- The application is due on Thursday, January 26, 2017.
- Interviews of the finalists will begin on or around February 6. Selected students will be notified on or around February 13.
- After travel, students will be expected to participate in presentations or panel discussions to share their study abroad experience with others in the College community.
Selection Criteria Among Eligible Applicants
A diverse group of students will be selected based on the following:
- Academic performance in Community College of Philadelphia courses, as indicated by grades in courses. A current, unofficial College transcript is required and must include courses being taken in Spring 2017.
- One Community College of Philadelphia faculty member’s written recommendation. Faculty recommendations must address the following: (a) The student’s interest in the target destination, intellectual curiosity, and/or relevant personal/career goals, as well as markers of solid academic work. (b) The student’s reliability, as demonstrated through his/her activities, such as being prepared for class, attending and participating in class, and submitting assignments on time. (c) The student’s adaptability and ability to contribute to and function abroad in a small group: getting along with faculty, other students, and people from backgrounds different from his or her own.
- A carefully written statement by the applicant of 300-600 words explaining past coursework, reading and/or experience that led you to be interested in this particular opportunity, and how studying and visiting the program/country for which you are applying for would further your personal career goals.
- Selected finalists will be contacted for an interview by a selection committee.
Application and Payment
How to access the Community College of Philadelphia Scholarship Application 2016-2017:
- Go to the NEW MyCCP Portal and login
- Select the Student Tab
- Scroll down on the left to Scholarships and Awards
- Click on link and then click on Scholarship Application
- Scroll down and select blue button to begin the 2016-2017 scholarship application
- Please be sure to answer the question “Are you interested in Studying Abroad?” by saying YES
- Also, you MUST complete the Essay Question immediately following. In your essay you should address specifically which area you would like to travel to: Tanzania or Cuba.
Good luck! Please call the Scholarship Office at 215-496-6182 if you have any questions about the scholarship application.