English as a Second Language Institute
The ESL Institute at Community College of Philadelphia offers adult, non-native speakers of English the opportunity to improve their basic English language skills so that they may increase their participation in the larger society or prepare for citizenship.
Classes provide three different ESL levels of instruction: ESL 1 (Beginner), ESL 2 (Intermediate) and ESL 3 (High Intermediate). These levels follow the Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment Systems (CASAS) competencies model, which integrates the four language acquisition skills—listening, speaking, reading and writing—in an interactive classroom setting. The Institute also offers advanced English workshops, such as American Idioms and Vocational ESL-Banking and Finance.
The ESL Institute can help you:
- Learn and improve your knowledge of English
- Improve your English listening and speaking skills
- Improve your English reading and writing skills
- Improve your life skills and gain a better understanding of American culture
- Become an active community member
- Prepare for college
- Improve your employment opportunities
- Participate in your children’s education
How to Register
Registration begins the month prior to the start of classes, in August, December and April. You must register in person at the Main Campus or any of the Regional Centers. Student screenings and registration are done at the Main Campus and the Northwest Regional Center only on scheduled dates and times. New students must first enroll in an ESL Orientation Workshop before registering for classes.
Maria Diaz-Aparicio, Manager, 215.751.8374
The Division Office: 215.751.8531 or 215.751.8381